Here’s my chat with Sarah Silverman about Wreck-It Ralph, the Disney videogame comedy that finally makes it to cinemas across the UK this weekend. She plays the second lead of the film, young Vanellope Van Schweetz, kart racer with a glitch.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45JwE2U3XgU
As reflected here by Sarah, the typical narrative is that the animators base their work on reference to the actors, and while I’m sure that’s normal, it’s far too limiting to always be true.
I know that Disney’s filmmakers are way too smart and rigorous to never realise when there’s a better performance that could be put on the screen. Sometimes it’s going to be down to distance and hindsight, sometimes it’s going to be down to counterpoint, but it won’t always be a question of recreating an actor’s work in the booth.
Silverman is, of course, the key ingredient in Ms. Schweetz, and like her co-star, John C. Reilly as Wreck-It Ralph himself, she’s a bang-on bit of casting.
Coming up later: lots and lots from Ralph‘s co-writer and director, Rich Moore.
Wreck-It Ralph will be playing all over Britain from Friday, preceded by the similarly splendid short film, Paperman. Fully recommended.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014