Forty-two years after co-founding Pacific and twenty-six years after joining the company, Bill Schanes, Vice President of Purchasing at Diamond Comic Distributors is stepping down from that role, for an advisory position that will last the rest of the year, at least.
Replacing him in his position is current Executive Director of Purchasing, John Wurzer. Whether he will inherit Bill Schanes’ famous moustache or not, or if Schanes will be allowed to keep it as a goodwill gesture, I do not know.
A couple of weeks ago, I heard that Schanes would be stepping down from the company, to be replaced by John Wurzer, though he denied it at the time. Now, however, it is official.
Bill Schanes was not only a pioneer in the establishment of the comic book direct market that saw comic stores able to order accurately from publishers with better discounts, changing the very nature of the comic books that were created, but has also overseen the rise of Diamond to absolutely dominate the market, with a number of exclusive deals with the biggest monthly comic book publishers, as well as Diamond’s move into digital.
He is listed on the Top 100 Comics Power List at twentieth place.
- Another Fake Jack Kirby Page Sells For Over $2000 On eBay - April 26, 2017
- Adult Swim Confirms That Neon Joe, Werewolf Hunter Is Returning In May - April 26, 2017
- A Comic Store In Your Future – Guardians 2 Will Be A Smash. The Comics, Not So Much. - April 26, 2017
- “When Their Sales Go Down, They Will Abandon You” – Run DMC’s Darryl McDaniels On Comic Book Publishing - April 26, 2017
- Venom #150, The First Of The Marvel Legacy Comics – And It Shows - April 26, 2017