Disney’s CEO Bob Iger has spelled out some of the company’s Star Wars plans to CNBC. As well as the new trilogy, which he tells us to still expect in 2015 and to be released across something like a six year period, Iger says that “a few” standalone spin-offs will be released in parallel.
We’ve heard that Yoda, Jabba, Boba Fett and Darth Maul are amongst the candidates for spin-off films. Iger seems to confirm that the spin-offs will be centred on specific characters saying:
Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great ‘Star Wars’ characters that are not part of the overall saga.
Here’s a video of Iger saying what he will about Star Wars. The longer version of this, which is largely about ESPN finances, froze my sports-shy brain.
UPDATE: Deadline have some further quotes from Iger. Here they are, stitched into one:
I don’t have details or specifics about the films themselves [but they are] becoming more real… we’re not saying how many although I did mention two creators [Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg] who are working on two different films.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014