There are two films with screenplays credited to Sam Raimi, Joel Coen and Ethan Coen. One is The Hudsucker Proxy, which is a magical realist Preston Sturgess pastiche and a film I’m really very, very fond of. Before long, it’s going to be released on Blu-ray by Warner Archive.
The other is Crimewave, which is like lost curio of film noir as directed by Tex Avery. It’s frankly pretty crazy, and I do love it for it.
This was the film Raimi made after Evil Dead and before Evil Dead 2 and was the second Coen-penned film out of the traps after Blood Simple. Boy, did these guys make some sharp turns in their early careers.
Crimewave is now headed to Blu-ray courtesy of Shout! Factory, purveyors of many a fine movie on Blu-ray discs of note. There’s a DVD in the box too, for those of us not up to HD yet, and I imagine there’s going to be some kind of supplements… surely?
Previous releases from this label have had great bonus material and while The Coens. and Sam Raimi are likely rather too busy* to do too much for this disc, there’s still scope for some meaningful content of some kind.
Shout! have it scheduled for May 14th. This is the first shiny disc release for the film in the States, so I think a lot of folk will be pretty excited.
Here’s a clip from Jonathan Ross’ splendid Incredibly Strange Film Show on the subject of Crimewave, including footage from the film.
Even licensing that show for the disc would be a good start. I’ll keep you posted on an supplements Shout do announce.
*Take that on face value and also not on face value, if you would.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014