Ben Affleck and Matt Damon have been developing a feature film based on the life of James “Whitey” Bulger, the Boston mobster who, to a large extent at least, seemed happier to target other criminals in his operations. A bad Boston boy for those two good Boston-ish boys to bring to the multiplex.
Though now they have some serious competition as Johnny Depp has attached himself to play Bulger in a rival movie to be directed by Barry Levinson.
It’s not clear what part of Bulger’s life Affleck and Damon or Terrence Winter, the screenwriter on their film, were interested in, but Levinson’s film and Mark Mallouk‘s screenplay will be derived from Dick Lehr and Gerald O’Neill’s bestseller, Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance Between the FBI and the Irish Mob.
Deadline report that production is set for May, meaning Levinson is going to beat Affleck and Damon into production, though these things do often make their way to the screen in pairs.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014