Serial Bond scribes Neal Purvis and Robert Wade have been working on a Barbarella do-over for years. Back in 2008 the plan was for them get her back up on the big screen for producers Martha and Dino DeLaurentis.
Then last summer, word got out that Nicholas Winding Refn was going to direct a new TV take on the character. I assumed this would be a fresh start with only Martha DeLaurentis remaining from the last go around.
Well, apparently not. Screen Daily have revealed that Purvis and Wade are the writers behind the pilot that Refn will be directing. It isn’t clear if they’ll be working from a draft they’d prepped for the movie, but it’s all part of the same creative process, I’m sure.
Barbarella is best known for the Roger Vadim movie, starring Jane Fonda, but originally appeared in Jean-Claude Forest‘s comics. Both were quite brazenly sexual, and I can only imagine the new version will swing quite far in that direction. Cinemax far? It’s not impossible.
It’s a TV show so I don’t know how hot the casting process is going to – I can’t really expect Girl With the Dragon Tattoo levels of intrigue and gossip – but the casting will obviously be instrumental to the show’s success.
Who wants to bet I’m writing another “retrospectively obvious” story about Eva Green in the next few months?
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014