Nic Mathieu is a commercials director who had been developing an original sci-fi film with David Koepp called The Wind. He’s also been attached to direct The Story of Your Life, from Eric Heisserer’s adaptation of the Ted Chiang sci-fi novella.
Those two may be slipping into the slow lane for a while, however, Heat Vision have learned that Mathieu has now been offered the live-action Robotech movie.
This is the American anime mash-up that drew on three different Japanese series, mixing them into something new – and long running enough that the episodes could be syndicated. Sneaky.
Back in 2007, producer Tobey Maguire said of Robotech:
There is a rich mythology that will be a great foundation for a sophisticated, smart and entertaining film.
At that time he was interested in taking a lead role. Who knows if that’s still the case?
With such an interesting slate but no feature credits to his name, I think it’s worth taking a look at Mathieu’s commercials to get at least some idea of his style. A few of these are quite definitely sci-fi, too.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_FUGYrLcI
Okay, Mathieu is obviously drawn to big, slick, often metallic visions. Now let’s see if he can also tell a sustained story with character and theme.
Giant robofingers crossed.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014