In Slash Film‘s report on JJ Abrams taking the Star Wars gig, they throw in a little of the backstory as their sources see it.
According to unnamed whisperers, Abrams was Steven Spielberg‘s preferred choice of director and so he lobbied Kathy Kennedy to chase the director down.
This explains, perhaps, Abrams’ change of mind. Not long ago he was saying, publicly, that he’d rather just watch Star Wars.
But Kennedy clearly did meet Abrams, and deals are now being finalised. But she also met Matthew Vaughn.
We knew that work was continuing to get The Secret Service set up as Vaughn’s next film, and it looked to us at Bleeding Cool that he wasn’t moving forward on Star Wars.
But we didn’t know how far his conversations with Kennedy had gone.
Well, apparently they went far enough that they talked about casting, and Vaughn pitched Chloe Moretz as the lead of the film.
This doesn’t confirm that Michael Arndt‘s screenplay will have a female lead, as much as it might suggest it. Vaughn is pretty hands on with screenplays and it’s just as likely, if not more so, that he had his own ideas for where a seventh episode of Star Wars should go. That might be where Moretz fit in – in a Vaughn-devised plot.
Or maybe Arndt really is writing up a female lead.
Lucasfilm and Abrams will have to get casting underway soon to keep the film on track, and so more details about the featured characters are bound to start leaking.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014