He’s open about it being early days, and plans could yet turn soft, but James Franco is wanting to direct and star in a film of James Ellroy‘s American Tabloid.
He told MTV:
We’re going to do American Tabloid… It’s not all put together yet. It’s still early. You’re getting the scoop.
The book has a pretty big scope, so this would likely be Franco’s most ambitious picture yet. Here’s a blurb to give you some idea:
We are behind, and below, the scenes of JFK’s presidential election, the Bay of Pigs, the assassination–in the underworld that connects Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago, D.C….
Where the CIA, the Mob, J. Edgar Hoover, Howard Hughes, Jimmy Hoffa, Cuban political exiles, and various loose cannons conspire in a covert anarchy…
Where the right drugs, the right amount of cash, the right murder, buys a moment of a man’s loyalty…
Where three renegade law-enforcement officers–a former L.A. cop and two FBI agents–are shaping events with the virulence of their greed and hatred, riding full-blast shotgun into history…
Why, of course James Franco is interested in this.
It sounds like an expensive project to get right, and it’s certainly on a big canvas. I felt more confident about the chances of it landing right when Tom Hanks‘ Playtone were looking to adapt the book into a TV series. I wonder how that went wrong?
Here’s the full interview between MTV, Franco and his Kink co-director Christina Voros – or at least the few seconds they decided to share.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014