Patrick Dane writes for Bleeding Cool.
Coming off of his Golden Globe and Oscar nominations for Lincoln, Tommy Lee Jones is General Douglas MacArthur in this trailer for The Emperor. The film is by director Peter Webber, probably most known for Hannibal Rising and The Girl With the Pear Earring.
This film tackles the American occupation of Japan just after World War II. Here’s the official blurb.
As General Douglas MacArthur (Tommy Lee Jones) suddenly finds himself the de facto ruler of a foreign nation, he assigns an expert in Japanese culture, General Bonner Fellers (Matthew Fox), to covertly investigate the looming question hanging over the country: should the Japanese Emperor(Eriko Hatsune), worshipped by his people but accused of war crimes, be punished or saved?
Interesting subject matter from a time period that people often forget about but thanks to the inclusion of Jones, if you wants some inappropriate fun you could always pretend this is set in the Marvel movieverse, setting up a sobering sequel to Captain America.
Here is the new trailer:
And here’s a clip that debuted a while back:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUNF9ciI_I0
I can’t say that I’m totally sold on this one. It’s an incredibly interesting topic, but this trailer makes it seem like the film will be full of characters talking at me about what an incredibly interesting topic it is.
Many a good concept has been squandered by doing just that.
- Massive Mighty Morphin Spoilers For The Power Rangers Movie, Revealed - March 11, 2017
- Final Fantasy XV Preview – What Four Hours With The Title Told Us - August 16, 2016
- PAX South 2016: Deckbound Unbound: The Evolution of the TCG - February 2, 2016
- Call of Duty: Blacks Op 3 Has Sold Better Than The Last Two Games In The Franchise - November 11, 2015
- The Nathan Drake Collection Was The Best Selling Digital PS4 Game In October - November 11, 2015