Emerald City Comic Con is on March 1st to the 3rd this year, in Seattle. And Wizard World have announced that they have a show a week earlier, down the road, in Portland from February 22nd to the 24th.
Joe Parrington of Emerald City told Oregon Live
You can’t put two shows of this size that are almost identical together, put them five days apart and expect both to have maximum success… The issue isn’t that Emerald City Comicon has to be the only kid on the block with a lemonade stand. Wizard decided to open its lemonade stand on the same week we’re doing it and, essentially, on the same block.
Wizard CEO John Macaluso tried to brush over past con war activity (such as announcing a Wizard World New York convention on the same days and same street as New York Comic Con)
“We’re a new company today. Whatever comic-con wars happened in the past, I come to this with no baggage. We picked Portland only because there is no show in Portland. We only wish (Emerald City) success.”
ECCC have now struck back, scheduling a new show in Portland in September. And asking people to choose sides.
- Tomorrow’s Comics Today – A Comic Shop: Curse Words Unleashed! - January 17, 2017
- Frankensteining Marvel Comics’ Solicits For April 2017 - January 17, 2017
- As Marvel Drop “Buy Physical, Get Digital” Codes, DC Pick Them Up, As Monthly Superhero Comics Go $3.99 - January 17, 2017
- Marvel’s *Classified* Prelude Gets A Name – And It’s Secret Empire - January 17, 2017
- DC Comics Change Credits On Tomorrow’s Green Lanterns, Justice League, Raven And More - January 17, 2017