Internally they were called “Holy Shit!” covers. In an interview, Bobbie Chase referred to them as “What The F” covers. The solicitations for April called them “gatefold covers”. In April, all the DC new 52 comics will have a surprise, secret, cover reveal, giving away something happening in that month’s comic. Indeed it was such a surprise that sometimes not even the writer knew when they were writing the comic.
But that does give us the opportunity to come up with our own ideas.
Consider this a Bleeding Cool Challenge! Create your own second half of the gatefold cover to any of the comics solicited in April. It can be satirical, it can be straight, but it must be surprising.
Artistic talent is not necessary, the idea is always more important than anything. Just give it a go… and then send it in. We’ll run them all on Monday – at least those that don’t break guidlines over obscenity and/or nudity.
And you can guarantee that everyone at DC will see them…
- Martin Rowson to Adapt Karl Marx’s Communist Manifesto as a Graphic Novel, and More from SelfMadeHero in 2018 - January 19, 2018
- All 3 Marvel Comics Nominated for GLAAD Awards Have Been Cancelled - January 19, 2018
- Marvel Comics Signs Kelly Thompson as an Exclusive Creator - January 19, 2018
- Nancy Silberkleit Now Distributing Her Own Archie Comic, Featuring Scarlet, One Copy at a Time - January 19, 2018
- Sitcomics Challenges Diamond with 64-Page $3.99 Comics – and a 20-Page Preview of Start-Up #1 - January 19, 2018