Internally they were called “Holy Shit!” covers. In an interview, Bobbie Chase referred to them as “What The F” covers. The solicitations for April called them “gatefold covers”. In April, all the DC new 52 comics will have a surprise, secret, cover reveal, giving away something happening in that month’s comic. Indeed it was such a surprise that sometimes not even the writer knew when they were writing the comic.
But that does give us the opportunity to come up with our own ideas.
Consider this a Bleeding Cool Challenge! Create your own second half of the gatefold cover to any of the comics solicited in April. It can be satirical, it can be straight, but it must be surprising.
Artistic talent is not necessary, the idea is always more important than anything. Just give it a go… and then send it in. We’ll run them all on Monday – at least those that don’t break guidlines over obscenity and/or nudity.
And you can guarantee that everyone at DC will see them…
- This Martin Luther King Comic May Have Been The Most Influential Comic Book Of All Time - January 16, 2017
- Dan Panosian On The Shadowy World Of The Inker - January 16, 2017
- Marshal Law Creators Pat Mills And Kevin O’Neill’s New Project Read Em And Weep - January 16, 2017
- Neil Gaiman’s American Gods Comic From Dark Horse Will Not Be Sold In The UK - January 16, 2017
- Three New Looks At Netflix’s Defenders…. Krysten Ritter, Rachael Taylor, Finn Jones And Sigourney Weaver - January 16, 2017