Internally they were called “Holy Shit!” covers. In an interview, Bobbie Chase referred to them as “What The F” covers. The solicitations for April called them “gatefold covers”. In April, all the DC new 52 comics will have a surprise, secret, cover reveal, giving away something happening in that month’s comic. Indeed it was such a surprise that sometimes not even the writer knew when they were writing the comic.
But that does give us the opportunity to come up with our own ideas.
Consider this a Bleeding Cool Challenge! Create your own second half of the gatefold cover to any of the comics solicited in April. It can be satirical, it can be straight, but it must be surprising.
Artistic talent is not necessary, the idea is always more important than anything. Just give it a go… and then send it in. We’ll run them all on Monday – at least those that don’t break guidlines over obscenity and/or nudity.
And you can guarantee that everyone at DC will see them…
- Wayne Brady, Don Johnson, And Michael Davis Launch ‘Level Next’ To Create Stories For And By People Of Colour - July 21, 2017
- Black Mask Creators Talk The Benefits Of Comics At San Diego Comic-Con - July 21, 2017
- The Young Justice: Outsiders, Revealed – Could This Be Their First Gay Member? - July 21, 2017
- More ComiXology Exclusive Marvel Comics To Come After ‘Iron Fists’ - July 21, 2017
- Comic Book Retailer Exclusives Given Away At San Diego Comic-Con Today - July 21, 2017