Internally they were called “Holy Shit!” covers. In an interview, Bobbie Chase referred to them as “What The F” covers. The solicitations for April called them “gatefold covers”. In April, all the DC new 52 comics will have a surprise, secret, cover reveal, giving away something happening in that month’s comic. Indeed it was such a surprise that sometimes not even the writer knew when they were writing the comic.
But that does give us the opportunity to come up with our own ideas.
Consider this a Bleeding Cool Challenge! Create your own second half of the gatefold cover to any of the comics solicited in April. It can be satirical, it can be straight, but it must be surprising.
Artistic talent is not necessary, the idea is always more important than anything. Just give it a go… and then send it in. We’ll run them all on Monday – at least those that don’t break guidlines over obscenity and/or nudity.
And you can guarantee that everyone at DC will see them…
- Comics Folk Eat Popcorn While Reading The #FyreFestival Hashtag… - April 28, 2017
- Unboxing April 2017’s Loot Crate And Skybound – With Comics From X-Files To Extremity… - April 28, 2017
- Digital Sales Down, Print Sales Up, The Paperback Is Powering Back Up - April 28, 2017
- There Will Be Two America #4 Comics In Comic Stores A Week Of Each Other - April 28, 2017
- Two Iowa Comic Book Stores Close, One Week Of Each Other - April 28, 2017