Created by Charles Schulz, Peanuts was first published in October 1950. At its height in popularity, the comic strip was published in 75 countries, in 21 different languages. Generations of readers were able to read the new adventures of Peanuts for nearly 50 years, until Schultz wrote in a Sunday comic in 2000 announcing he would no longer be publishing new stories:
“Dear Friends, I have been fortunate to draw Charlie Brown and his friends for almost fifty years. It has been the fulfillment of my childhood ambition. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to maintain the schedule demanded by a daily comic strip. My family does not wish Peanuts to be continued by anyone else, therefore I am announcing my retirement. I have been grateful over the years for the loyalty of our editors and the wonderful support and love expressed to me by fans of the comic strip. Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus, Lucy… how can I ever forget them…” — Charles M. Schulz
With United Media selling its rights to Peanuts in 2010 (including its strips and branding) to the newly-formed Peanuts Worldwide, it appeared opportunities for finally publishing new material might be possible. In 2011, BOOM! Studios published Happiness Is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown, an adaptation of a direct-to-DVD animation.
You can find the full article in Bleeding Cool Magazine #2 at a comics retailer near you. Here is the Bleeding Cool Directory of retailers who have shown special support to the magazine and this website. Are you a retailer who would like to be included? Contact us.
- The Rock Talks #BlackAdam And The Entire DCU: “Hope, Optimism & FUN… Prepare Yourselves DC Universe” - January 11, 2017
- Alien: Covenant Short Teaser Starts Unwrapping Your Christmas Present A Day Early - December 24, 2016
- Milwaukee Bucks Owner Marc Lasry Sells Wonder Woman #1 CGC 9.0 ‘Solicitation Copy’ For Record $291,100 - December 14, 2016
- Transformers: The Last Knight Poster – What… Has Happened To Bumblebee? - December 13, 2016
- Mantis, Baby Groot, And 60+ Screencaps From The New Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 Trailer - December 3, 2016