Leverage was a TV show, recently cancelled, that was basically a cross between The A-Team and Not A Penny More Not A Penny Less, Robin Hood meets Hustle, that kind of thing. And created by John Rogers, also known for Blue Beetle and Dungeons and Dragons comics, as well as being the man behind the Global Frequency pilot. And it has a line of spinoff novels.
Such as one, just published, called The Con Job, by Matt Forbeck. Forbeck is a fantasy novelist but is better known in comics circles for his Magic: The Gathering work for IDW.
His new novel however features an elderly comics artist who gave his original artwork to a dealer to sell on his behalf, to cover his wife’s medical bills and gets screwed over. The dealer then sells the artwork separately, under the cover of donating proceeds to Hero Intiative.
Yes, that Hero Initiative. At San Diego Comic Con. No problems with using official pronouns here. And the con has to go down…. at the Con by tricking the dealer into thinking they could be a publisher…
We get action sequences sliding down the glassrooves of the Convention Center as well as one of the cast pretending to be Warren Ellis. Wil Wheaton also makes several appearances. And it makes a few points along the way.
“The worst part,” Hardison said, “is these people really don’t have a whole lot else. Most of them worked as freelancers their entire career. They got no health insurance, no retirement package, nothing.”
All good, but the real reason I’m mentioning it? They need a crook to catch a crook. And who do they use? Why someone who’s a cross between Rob Granito and Josh Hoopes. And where did they come across this kind of activity? One one place…
- Let There Be Light? Tomorrow’s Ultimates 2 #8 Tells The Very Beginning Of The Marvel Multiverse - April 25, 2017
- A Host Of New Comics Announced At C2E2 From Lion Forge - April 25, 2017
- An Unannounced Issue Of Surgeon X To Be Digitally Published Tomorrow, By Sara Kenney And Warren Pleece - April 25, 2017
- Marvel’s Agents Of Hydra Shout Sheets For Fitz And Simmons…. It’s Not Looking Good - April 25, 2017
- How Faith And Ninjak Went To Homecoming Together – Courtesy Of David Lafuente - April 25, 2017