The film has been scripted by Warehouse 13 and Eureka alumni Matthew Federman and Stephen Scaia, with Variety reporting tonight that Dan Trachtenberg on board to direct.
Trachtenberg has directed a few commercials, was on The Totally Rad Show, and last year got attached to direct Crime of the Century for Universal. What he may be best known for, however, is this Portal fan film, No Escape.
Personally, I don’t think much of that at all. Faceless goons chase a characterless woman to no end. Just because they do.
There’s some competent mechanical stuff but a lot of draggy storytelling that comes across like somebody thumbing through Tell Your Story In Pictures: For Dummies too slowly.
And that pay-off? Yeah, it’s a fudge.
If that’s a 2D image she’d be able to see so as soon as she moves, if it isn’t, then the way it acts as the camera tracks is cheat. More importantly, though, it comes out of nowhere and means nothing.
On the upside, Y: The Last Man comes packed with ideas of its own, and has a baked-in narrative shape and character arcs that already work.
Also pretty encouraging is Trachtenberg’s enthusiasm for this comic. Listen to this, with a hat tip to Slashfilm – though do be weary of spoilers.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014