recently visited Leeds for Thought Bubble. (No, apparently not, my mistake) And it appears took a little of the lingo back with him in today’s Fantastic Four #3.
“Pear-shaped” is British slang for something going wrong, no longer a circle – when you are looking at a European pear, anyway. Which, in Europe, we do all the time.
Wikipedia states that Margaret Thatcher used the term when talking to Ronald Reagan but a) it doesn’t sound like her at all and b) outside if Wikipedia I’ve found no evidence that this is true.
But where did Mr Fantastic pick up the expression?
And hell, where did Ben Grimm? Too many late night sessions watching Peep Show? Will Reed start referring to his wife as Big Suze?
Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London.
- White Noise In London – Paradiso and Void Indigo Exhibition at Orbital Comics, With a Walkthrough From Ram V on Saturday - January 18, 2018
- Two TV Commercials From DC Comics For the New Age of Heroes Line - January 17, 2018
- For Those of You Still Reading Generation X… Something Special For Jubilee (#86 Spoilers) - January 17, 2018
- Brian Wood and Jorge Coelho’s Robocop: Citizens Arrest Looks to Explore Social Justice - January 17, 2018
- Ludocrats from Kieron Gillen, David Lafuente, and Jim Rossignol is Coming Soon, Honest - January 17, 2018