I wanted to let you know about a very special book that is a wry examination of the superhero genre. A week ago I released Go-For-Gopher as a kindle e-book and its been rising up the charts, breaking into the top twenty paid superhero category just last evening. Its got a ton of elements longtime fans of superheroes would love.
The lead character is my take on Batman and the first story has him interviewing sidekicks and trying out for membership in the Zoo Troop, a JLA type team featuring Infinite Elephant, Princess Pronghorn and Hyper Hippo.
I’m a lifelong comic book reader. My first comic book was Star Wars #38. What a great way to enter into comics with the wonderful art of Michael Golden on my favorite movie series of all time. This was soon followed by me picking up X-Men #141, a little series called The Micronauts and a ton of other comics.
Superheroes are still the dominant titles in my shipments from Westfield. Go-For-It Gopher is my send-up of the long underwear set. I think half the fun of this series will be finding all the Easter Eggs and homages I’ve squirreled away in the chapters. For example, the three time-travelling reptiles were inspired by Kang the Conqueror and all his various permutations. Matter Mealworm might bear a resemblance to a diminutive Captain Marvel villain. And our title hero certainly carved a crimefighting career quite similar to one Mr. Bruce Wayne.
This book is for the longtime comics fan, but it’s also for the new generation who grew up on Captain Underpants and not Captain Carrot. I like to think of this series as being the next step when they outgrow the antics of Pilkey’s delightful creation.
Look for his next adventure to pop up soon!
Look! Up in the Sky! Is it a bird? A Plane? Or an earnest gopher wobbling an anti-gravity hula hoop about?
- J Michael Straczynski On The Importance – Or Not – Of Superman’s Red Shorts - January 16, 2017
- Clone Conspiracy #4 Goes Back To Amazing Fantasy #15 – But Not Quite In The Way You MightThink - January 16, 2017
- How Jason Fabok’s Watchmen Covers For Batman And Flash In April Came About… - January 16, 2017
- Unfollow And Clean Room: Season One End With #18 – More Frankensteining DC Solicits For April 2016 As $3.99 Is The New $2.99 - January 16, 2017
- Jessica Jones Meets Roger Rabbit – Black Cloud #1, Out This April, From Jason Latour, Ivan Brandon, Greg Finkle, Matt Wilson And Image Comics - January 16, 2017