I’ve had a look through the full New Year’s Honours list, the Queen’s annual awards ceremony. We already knew that Danny Boyle wasn’t interested in participating, but who did say yes? Who will accept a trip to Buck house for some cucumber sandwiches and a quick eye-to-eye with Liz 2?
Here’s everybody I find sufficiently film or TV related on the big list, and then their new honour.
- Quentin Blake, illustrator of many of Roald Dahl’s books – KBE
- Kate Bush, singer-songwriter and director of The Line, The Cross and The Curve – CBE
- Barry Cox, chairman of digital TV not-for-profit organisation Digital UK – CBE
- Tracey Emin, artist, apparent camping enthusiast and director of Topspot – CBE
- Ian Livingstone, co-creator of the Fighting Fantasy books and president of Eidos – CBE
- Arlene Phillips, Strictly Come Dancing survivor and choreographer – CBE
- Philip French, The Observer’s film critic – OBE
- John Lloyd, scriptwriter, Liff-definer, creator of QI and producer – OBE
- Ewan McGregor, actor – OBE
- Gerald Parkes, founder of Parkway Cinemas – OBE
- Philip Shapiro, chair of Cornerhouse – OBE
- Catherine Ugwu, producer of the 2012 Olympics opening and closing ceremonies – MBE
- David Williams, managing director of Cornwall’s WTW Cinemas – MBE
There… I think I’ve understood which is an OBE, which an MBE and so on, while not really understanding why the distinction. Same mystery, year in and year out.