Here’s a thing. Gail Simone is the new Batgirl writer.
Also. NOT A HOAX.
When I put together the Top 100 Power List for the Comics Industry over the summer, Gail Simone wasn’t on the list. She was considered, sure, but her influence seemed to be dimming. Her fanbase and Twitter following would have put her in the top 150 probably, but Howard Chaykin pipped her.
Today she would most definitely be in the Top 100. Because not only does she have a very successful Kickstarter under her belt, a sizeable and vocal following, but they can now reverse DC policies.
Because, despire being fired from Batgirl by her editor as her exclusive contract came to an end, with Ray Fawkes taking over, DC Comics have now reversed that editor’s decision in the wake of considerable online protest and, I’m told, a reluctance to have every single person asking questions during convention season dressed up as Batgirl saying “Where’s Gail Simone?”
As a result, she has effectiovely made herself bulletproof. What can her editor do, fire her? We know that doesn’t work. And Gail will also be working safe in the knowledge that she had a ton of offers from other publishers when she announced she’d been fired.
She has also empowered a bunch of her fellow creators suffering under the editorial thumb. If Gail can do it…
- J.M. DeMatteis On His “Don’t Punch A Nazi” Captain America Comic From 1982 - January 24, 2017
- Jim Starlin Made More From A Small Character In Batman V Superman Than From Thanos, Drax And Gamora In The Marvel Movies - January 24, 2017
- The Small Town Barbeque Vampires Of “Redneck” By Donny Cates, Lisandro Estherren And Dee Cunniffe From Image/Skybound In April - January 23, 2017
- Topps To Publish A Trump-Based Garbage Pail Kids Comic – Donald Dump! - January 23, 2017
- What Will Happen To Task Force X After Justice League Vs Suicide Squad? Just Ask Grant Morrison (SPOILERS) - January 23, 2017