Here’s a thing. Gail Simone is the new Batgirl writer.
Also. NOT A HOAX.
When I put together the Top 100 Power List for the Comics Industry over the summer, Gail Simone wasn’t on the list. She was considered, sure, but her influence seemed to be dimming. Her fanbase and Twitter following would have put her in the top 150 probably, but Howard Chaykin pipped her.
Today she would most definitely be in the Top 100. Because not only does she have a very successful Kickstarter under her belt, a sizeable and vocal following, but they can now reverse DC policies.
Because, despire being fired from Batgirl by her editor as her exclusive contract came to an end, with Ray Fawkes taking over, DC Comics have now reversed that editor’s decision in the wake of considerable online protest and, I’m told, a reluctance to have every single person asking questions during convention season dressed up as Batgirl saying “Where’s Gail Simone?”
As a result, she has effectiovely made herself bulletproof. What can her editor do, fire her? We know that doesn’t work. And Gail will also be working safe in the knowledge that she had a ton of offers from other publishers when she announced she’d been fired.
She has also empowered a bunch of her fellow creators suffering under the editorial thumb. If Gail can do it…
- Let There Be Light? Tomorrow’s Ultimates 2 #8 Tells The Very Beginning Of The Marvel Multiverse - April 25, 2017
- A Host Of New Comics Announced At C2E2 From Lion Forge - April 25, 2017
- An Unannounced Issue Of Surgeon X To Be Digitally Published Tomorrow, By Sara Kenney And Warren Pleece - April 25, 2017
- Marvel’s Agents Of Hydra Shout Sheets For Fitz And Simmons…. It’s Not Looking Good - April 25, 2017
- How Faith And Ninjak Went To Homecoming Together – Courtesy Of David Lafuente - April 25, 2017