Last week, ABC gave a thirteen episode order to a show called Weird Desk, something that sounded a little bit like the X-Files.
The premise promised freak-of-the week adventures involving stuff that’s too weird for the CIA and NSA, all re-routed to a clandestine operation at the top of the US intelligence tree, higher even than the president. They’d be sent all of the supernatural stuff, or anything alien in origin. The Mulder bait.
Deadline have reported that the show has now had its order cancelled. But why?
Well, the reason may be banalities of organisation and funding, or it may have something to do with these reported rumours:
I hear there was concern, at Marvel and internally at ABC, that Weird Desk may be similar to Joss Whedon’s high-profile ABC pilot SHIELD., an offshoot of blockbuster Avengers franchise. There is speculation about objections from Marvel, one of Disney Co.’s most prized possessions, to the new project.
Which would at least cement how the SHIELD show is going the way you probably thought it would.
Formally, Weird Desk might get another look in when the next wave comes around. If the Marvel rumours are true, however, I don’t think the odds are good.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014