Assuming that Pacific Rim is likely to be a smash hit, which is a fair assumption, and wanting to keep plates spinning with Guillermo Del Toro, which is every bit as sensible, Legendary pictures have commissioned a screenplay for a Rim sequel already.
The Hollywood Reporter have it that Del Toro will co-write this follow up with Travis Beacham, the creator of the whole Pacific Rim mythos and writer of the first movie. At this stage there’s no indication as to who might direct, but it’s not surprising – the film is likely to be some years way.
Next up for Del Toro is the pilot for a TV version of The Strain, then voice recording for his stop-motion Pinocchio, and then the ghost story, Crimson Peak, currently expected to film at the beginning of 2014. Could Pacific Rim 2 be his next directorial gig after that?
Well, possibly. Though, you know, I would only be moderately surprised to see Beacham make his directorial debut on the film.
Or, of course, it could be somebody else entirely. As so often seems to be the case, we’re peering off into the distant future at a Guillermo Del Toro project that, so far, is only made of brief, pencil sketch marks. We can only guess as to where the ink is going to go.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014