But in the case of Variety‘s story on the casting of Mark Romanek and Disney’s live-action Cinderella movie, the trio of contenders are Saoirse Ronan, Alicia Vikander and Gabriella Wilde. These are the three young ladies competing for a chance to scrub the floor, get bullied and lose their shoe.
Ms. Wilde may be the… yeah, okay, wild card, I suppose you would say. That’s her in the picture above.
I’ve only seen her in the St. Trinian’s sequel, not that I remember her from it at all, and The Three Musketeers, and my memories there are hazy at best. She has also completed filming on Carrie, where she played Sue Snell, and the vote of confidence from Kimberly Peirce, that film’s director, is certainly encouraging.
Saoirse Ronan we all know by now, I think, and is pretty dependably good, even in wobblier films; Alicia Vikander was great in A Royal Affair and did just fine in Anna Karenina.
Already selected for the role of Cinderella’s step mother is Cate Blanchett, who almost worked with Ronan on Disney’s aborted attempt to reinvent Snow White as a period-set martial arts story. It would certainly seem like a “Disney ending” to have them brought together here.
I’m keen to see how the rest of the cast shakes out, particularly to see which characters the film will feature. For one thing, the Disney cartoon had a cast of mice, and I’m wondering how that’s being handled here.
By omission? Replacement with analogous humans? Or maybe even special effects or a trip to the pet shop?
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014