Shanshan Zhou, Adam Ben-Dror and Joss Doggett have built an animatronic lamp that they’re calling Pinokio. Yeah, a Luxo by any other name. And colour scheme.
In this video you’ll see how much spirit this thing has – and how close we’re getting to being able to remake the Pixar back catalogue in live action. Because, you know, that would obviously be ideal…
Oh… it can’t jump? And it doesn’t have a baby? 2.0, please!
From the blurb on their Vimeo page:
Pinokio is an exploration into the expressive and behavioural potentials of robotic computing. Customized computer code and electronic circuit design imbues Lamp with the ability to be aware of its environment, especially people, and to expresses a dynamic range of behaviour. As it negotiates its world, we the human audience can see that Lamp shares many traits possessed by animals, generating a range of emotional sympathies. In the end we may ask: Is Pinokio only a lamp? – a useful machine? Perhaps we should put the book aside and meet a new friend.
UPDATE: Now… If you’ve read this far, you deserve to know… I’ve watched this thing full screen now and I’m convinced it’s a fake. This is actually a stop motion animation, I’m sure of it. The buffering on my phone confused me at first but I see it now.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014