Produced by Mattel as one of their premium Matty Collector lines, the Back to the Future 2 hoverboard showed up at Comic Con this summer in a work-in-progress version. It’s now all finished, and on Monday, pre-orders will be shipping.
Below is a pretty exhaustive video review of the finished board. Perhaps the key bit comes at 12 minutes and 20 seconds:
Let me show you how the actual hovering works… it’s kind of utilising those same type of little plastic pieces that are meant to hover over carpet. If you’ve got a nice carpeted floor you can lay the hoverboard down then give it a little push and it does kind of have this little floating type look across the carpet. Now it doesn’t go very far, as you can see it does kind of get to a stop… it’s not really hovering above the ground, it’s not floating, but since it’s got the motion sensored sounds in there, every time you push it, you’ve got the little whoosh…
And carpet is key. The reviewer tried his board on a hardwood floor and scuffed it upwith a single shove. To which I can only really say:
Hey PixelDan, you bozo, those boards don’t work on hardwood.
No. Not even if you’ve got power. Try butter, maybe. Olive oil. Or Tom Cruise’s socks from Risky Business.
If you’ve already spent your $130 on this thing, yours will ship on Monday. Those who order now will be waiting until later in December.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014