Guardians of The Galaxy writer-director James Gunn has issued a statement regarding the recent controversy over a blog post on his site, in which he made a number of comments that many, myself included, considered offensive to both women and the LGBT community.
Gunn acknowledges, in retrospect, that while his intentions may have been humorous or satirical, this did not come across in the writing and he understands why so many were outraged by it.
Gunn has since removed the blog post from his website. In response to an outreach by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, he sent the organisation a statement apologising for the blog post and any offence it had caused.
A couple of years ago I wrote a blog that was meant to be satirical and funny. In rereading it over the past day I don’t think it’s funny. The attempted humor in the blog does not represent my actual feelings. However, I can see where statements were poorly worded and offensive to many. I’m sorry and regret making them at all.
People who are familiar with me as evidenced by my Facebook page and other mediums know that I’m an outspoken proponent for the rights of the gay and lesbian community, women and anyone who feels disenfranchised, and it kills me that some other outsider like myself, despite his or her gender or sexuality, might feel hurt or attacked by something I said. We’re all in the same camp, and I want to do my best to make this world a better place for all of us. I’m learning all the time. I promise to be more careful with my words in the future. And I will do my best to be funnier as well. Much love to all.
- Jackie Chan Confirms Role In The Expendables 3 - December 17, 2012
- Garrett Hedlund Confirms Attachment To TRON 3 - December 13, 2012
- Lincoln And Argo Lead The 2013 Golden Globes Nominations - December 13, 2012
- James McAvoy And Mark Strong Star In New Trailer For Brit Action Thriller Welcome To The Punch - December 11, 2012
- The Asylum Finally Have One Of Their Mockbusters Blocked As Lawyers Stop Age Of The Hobbits - December 10, 2012