The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund has that announced that Neil Gaiman‘s Gaiman Foundation, has donated $60,000 to the advocate charity, after he stepped down from the board after ten years.
A press release reports Gaiman as saying “I’ve supported the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, initially through fundraising and awareness raising, and then as a member of the board of directors, for over twenty years now. The CBLDF has, through that time, grown from a one-person organization dealing with emergencies that would have wiped out creators and retailers to what it is now: a major force in fighting censorship and preserving First Amendment liberties for those of us who read, create, publish or sell comics on paper or on the web.”
The grant will focus on one of Gaiman’s main interests in the charity, that of educating readers, creators, publishers and retailers about the issues of censorship and will sponsor Kids Right to Read Project and Banned Books Week, and the new Manga: Introduction, Challenges, and Best Practices publication for parents and teachers.
The press release quites Holly Gaiman, as saying “The Gaiman Foundation was founded in order to Do Good. The initial way it Does Good is by financially supporting organizations like the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. My siblings and I, who sit on the board of the Gaiman Foundation along with Neil and Amanda Palmer, have been inspired by our father’s dedication to the CBLDF for the majority of our lives. The First Amendment work of the CBLDF has been close to the heart of our entire family, and it is with great joy and pride that we all, through the Foundation, Do Good through supporting the CBLDF in its educational mission.” Gaiman is also personalizing graphic novels for CBLDF supporters for Spirit of Giving holiday fundraiser.
He’s also writing the introduction to the Dark Horse hardcover Husbands. Which isn’t exactly relevant but it’s news and it means I can use this pretty picture.
Husbands now has an introduction by Neil Gaiman.
- Twenty-Three Uses For An Overshipped Marvel Comic - January 19, 2017
- Chris Ware, Cosey And Larcenet Are Three Finalists For Angoulême’s Grand Prix , After Alan Moore Pulled Out Again - January 19, 2017
- VIDEO – Stan Lee Unboxes His First Box As His Second Goes Silver Age - January 19, 2017
- Image And Boom Are Diamond’s Comics Publishers Of The Year – The 2016 Gem Awards Results - January 19, 2017
- What If DC Were Publishing A Batman/Shadow Comic By Snyder, Orlando And Rossmo, But No One Made A Sound? - January 19, 2017