As the BBC’s Merlin comes to a close at the end of series five this Christmas, the show’s original creators Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy will be leaving Shine TV to start their own production company and create something new.
But even though they’ll be leaving the boy wizard behind, it doesn’t necessarily mean curtains for this particular televisual take on Camelot.
According to Broadcast, Shine are developing a possible spin-off show set in that same world. I know so little about the original I can’t even guess what a new series might entail. The further adventures of The Great Dragon? Broadcast can only say that characters from Camelot would be featured. Plural.
Capps and Murphy seem okay for Shine to carry things on:
It has been a wonderful five years with Merlin and ten overall with Shine, but we have always had the ambition to branch out ourselves at some point and now feels the time to take that leap. We do so with great memories, respect and best wishes for our Shine colleagues and in the knowledge that if there were to be any subsequent adventures, the world of Camelot is in safe hands.
If the show does get commissioned, it will be made by Shine’s imprint Kudos, previously responsible for Spooks, Ashes to Ashes and Life on Mars, Lip Service and, just now, Hunted.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014