Conan O’Brien has a new online chat show called Serious Jibber-Jabber that dispenses with the trappings and just puts him head to head with a guest for a good, long chat. His interview with Judd Apatow, for example, runs the best part of 70 minutes.
And less than six minutes in, as indicated by The AV Club, chat between Apatow and O’Brien turns to a script for The Simpsons he wrote, on spec, “exactly 22 years ago.”
For most of those 22 years, Apatow didn’t bring this ancient history up in public, but he did talk about it at a recent screening of This Is 40. Slashfilm ran this quote:
After only five Simpsons episodes aired, I sat down and tried to write one when I was in my early twenties. And what it was about was they went to see a hypnotism show and at the hypnotism show, they made Homer think he was the same age at Bart. And then the hypnotist had a heart attack. So now Homer and Bart became best friends and they spent the rest of the show running away because Homer didn’t want responsibility and didn’t want to be brought back to his real age. So I basically copied that for every movie I’ve made since.
Okay, sounds like an episode of The Simpsons.
After Apatow spilled he got a call from The Simpsons people telling him that the show was now going to be produced for next year’s run. Read into that how you will.
Here’s the full episode of Serious Jibber-Jabber.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014