Lawrence Kasdan wrote on both The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi, and was man of the match on Raiders of the Lost Ark. He’s also the writer-director of several films I love, from Body Heat to Grand Canyon and now, Deadline believe, he’s on Lucasfilm’s wish list for their revitalised Star Wars plans. There’s a compelling character arc for you.
Also sought after, according to the same report, is Simon Kinberg, co-writer of some X-Men pictures, including the next one, and such mid-rung genre fare as Mr. And Mrs. Smith.
Still, Kasdan must be a popular choice, right?
Deadline believe that Kasdan and Kinberg are wanted for Episodes 8 and 9. I suppose getting those scripts developed now will help with planning, and casting, Episode 7.
If Kasdan is indeed writing Episode 8, could he have been picked for the Empire association? Are Lucasfilm planning another “downbeat middle chapter”? I wouldn’t bet against it.
UPDATE: The Hollywood Reporter say that the deals have been locked and that Kasdan and Kinberg are now on board. What isn’t set, just yet, is which of them will write which episode. They will both also receive producing credits – and presumably do some producing work. Officially speaking.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014