Herbert Philips Lovecraft is arguably the most influential horror writer in the history of English Literature. Virtually every horror writer and filmmaker from Stephen King to John Carpenter to Ramsay Campbell to Neil Gaiman to Guillermo Del Toro cite his work as a major influence on their own work and way of thinking. The handful of horror stories he wrote created a mythology of a dangerous cosmos filled with creatures older than time lying in wait to return and devour the world has been taken up and copied endlessly by other writers and filmmakers for decades after his death, up to the present day. The prospect of adapting Lovecraft’s novel AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS into a movie is considered a cinematic Holy Grail by filmmakers and horror fans alike.
Alan Moore is one of the latest in the line of writers to tackle Lovecraft’s mythos, but what sets THE COURTYARD and NEONOMICON apart is the degree to what he deconstructs and updates Lovecraft’s themes and preoccupations to the 21st Century and also faces head-on many of the subtexts inherent in Lovecraft’s stories that the author himself never confronted directly.
You can find the full article in Bleeding Cool Magazine #1 at a comics retailer near you. Here is the Bleeding Cool Directory of retailers who have shown special support to the magazine and this website. Are you a retailer who would like to be included? Contact us.
- Stan Lee Abduction, Abuse, Theft of $5,000,000 Assets, Scripted Video Threats Alleged In Court Application - July 8, 2018
- Fired Political Cartoonist Rob Rogers Keeps Cartooning About Trump, Now on Patreon - June 19, 2018
- Action Comics #1 CGC 8.5 Sells for $2,052,000 After Bidding Resumes at Comic Connect - June 12, 2018
- Do Over: Multi-Million Dollar Action Comics #1 CGC 8.5 Back on the Auction Block Due to Technical Glitch - June 12, 2018
- [UPDATE, Sale Not Final] Action Comics #1 CGC 8.5 Sells for $2,007,500 at Comic Connect - June 11, 2018