Ray Zone, king of 3D comic books and other stereographic art, passed away at the age of sixty-five. Creating and transforming many comic books into 3D over the years, there’s one very specific tribute that sticks out. From an interview with Alan Moore, talking about the Black Dossier and DC Comics.
we planned this spectacular 3-D section for the finale. We thought originally there was only one person who could accomplish this, let alone understand this, and that is, of course, Ray Zone. We’d approached Ray. He was very eager and interested in the project. And then there was a kind of baffling silence about how well the 3-D section was getting on. Because Kevin had done that earlier, the final bits of the thing, because he had figured it would take a certain amount of time to do the 3-D process. We later found out that apparently there’d been a decision made that the 3-D work should be taken away from Ray and moved in-house. Now, we hadn’t been told about this, but what actually happened was that once they got it in-house, they looked at it and thought, ‘We don’t understand any of this! It’s much too complicated a 3-D process for us to even grasp!’ So after a couple of months of dicking around, they decided there was only one person for the job, and that was Ray Zone. So they gave him the work to process with, and he has done a shattering job on it. We’d been told that Ray enjoyed it, it was one of the most challenging things he’d ever done, and the end result is spectacular.
One man at the age of sixty could do what an entire publisher could not.
- Justice League #37 Makes DC Comics Fans the Enemy (SPOILERS) - January 17, 2018
- You’ll Believe Avengers Can Retcon – Avengers #676 and Champions #16 Spoilers - January 17, 2018
- “The Answers They Seek Lie Only With Her” – Shout Sheet for Agents Of SHIELD’s The Last Day - January 17, 2018
- Batman #39, Action Comics #761 And The Temptations Of Wonder Woman (SPOILERS) - January 17, 2018
- Buzz and Pat Broderick, the New Inker Ambassadors for the Inkwell Awards - January 16, 2018