Daniel Kleinman created the opening titles for every James Bond film from Goldeneye to Casino Royale and one of the mistakes made with Quantum of Solace, though far from its worst, was that he was pushed aside for MK12, who turned in something brilliantly slick and handsome but lacking in any real resonance.
So Kleinman came back for Skyfall, and within the very particular generic constraints of Bond opening credits, turned in something pretty compelling and rich in its own right.
It’s of particular significance that this is designed to be seen before the film. Afterwards, it would just seem like a remix of motifs, but before hand it’s like a riddle. “Stag’s head what? Hall of mirrors why?”
That odd little clip sets the tone, sets the pace, and throws out enough crumbs to make the plot that unfolds afterwards seem like far more of a fun mystery than it really is – it’s a fun chase, sure, but hardly a head scratching puzzle.
Thanks to Justin Bates VFX for the heads up.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014