Going carrot and not stick, US cinema chain Cinemark have launched a new app that will reward patrons of their cinema if they can manage to not call, text or even look at the time on their phone throughout an entire movie.
Each time you use the app, you’ll be sent some kind of virtual coupon. What will this coupon net you? Well, the press release doesn’t say, and neither does this promotional video.
Will this scheme work? Does it run the risk of making cinema patrons feel entitled to some sort of kickback in return for simply not being rude and selfish?
Here are the instructions:
- Download the Cinemark app. App is available for both the iPhone and Google Android phone.
- Start CineMode when you are prompted. A message appears on the auditorium screen right before the movie begins. When CineMode is started the bright screen on the smart phone will dim automatically and customers will be asked to set the phone’s volume to vibrate.
- Stay in CineMode for the duration of the movie.
- When the movie ends and the guest exits CineMode, Cinemark will automatically send a reward (digital coupon) through the app and store it in the Rewards section.
Potentially a little complex for some of the people I’ve seen making a phone call during a movie.
Maybe this will work, or at least work for Cinemark. It’s signalling to customers that they can both earn vouchers for basic levels of decency and expect a lower likelihood of the other audience members acting like pigs.
Here’s a quote from the company’s VP of marketing and communications:
At Cinemark, our number one priority is the comfort of our guests. It is important to develop tools that maximize and preserve the movie-going experience. For a while, our customers have asked us to design an alternative and creative solution that addresses texting and cell phone issues in our auditoriums. Now, through the Cinemark app, CineMode targets these courtesy issues through the very same devices that are causing the problems. Additionally, now our guests have the ability to earn rewards that can be used during their next visit to Cinemark.
Can somebody near a Cinemark please give this a go and find out what you ‘win’? I’m hoping it’s at least a little better than ten cents off a three litre vat of soda.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014