There’s a new Itallian TV series coming, based upon Angela and Luciana Giussani‘s Diabolik fumetti. As you’ll see from this first trailer, things are considerably less colourful than in Mario Bava‘s extraordinary 1968 feature, Danger: Diabolik.
That’s actually still pretty stylish however, in its different way. A lot of the action we see seems cliche, but it’s tending towards the kind of thing that Diabolik always got up to. Complaining about him skulking around in the shadows and dancing between infrared beams like that would be roughly equivalent to saying John Carter was too much like Star Wars.
Which, of course, many people did.
The problem is if these tropes feel tired now. There’s no point revisiting something that’s been worn out by imitators. Hopefully this new Diabolik will find a fresh approach for all that “All because the lady loves Milk Tray” business.
And hopefully it won’t be quite as creepy as the closing moments of the trailer. Brrr. That’s Sleep Tight stuff.
The show has been made for the Itallian version of Sky, so I expect there’s a pretty good chance it will get some kind of airing in the UK at least. I’ll let you know if I find out any more.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014