Most details of 1952 are being kept strictly under wraps for now, but we do know it’s expected to be a big, expensive tentpole picture for Disney, that Brad Bird will direct and that the script was written by Damon Lindelof and sometime Entertainment Weekly journalist Jeff Jensen.
Variety are comparing the film to Close Encounters of the Third Kind, saying that it will centre on a man who makes contact with aliens on Earth.
That man, it seems, is likely to take the form of George Clooney. Do we know anything else about his role? No. Just that this chap meets aliens, on Earth, and will look like a silver fox.*
In light of these limited details, I chose to head this post with an excerpt from a 1952 calendar.
Clooney is gearing up to shoot his next picture as director – the superb-sounding Monuments Men with Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett and Jean Dujardin – and so 1952, or whatever it ends up really being called, could be some time off just yet.
Some stories about the film suggest that it will be endlessly merchandisable, with theme park possibilities and lunch boxes aplenty. That alone seems to set it apart from Close Encounters. I don’t know that they’d shift too many Richard Dreyfuss action figures or Build Your Own mashed potato dioramas.
UPDATE: The Hollywood Reporter say the film is now using the codename Tesla. Neither that nor 1952 are the intended final name.
*Apparently. I do like Clooney, I must admit, but I can’t exactly say I fancy him, him being a man and all.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014