DC are cancelling Hellblazer, the Vertigo mature reader title that has been running since the eighties when it spun off from Swamp Thing. And replacing it with Constantine, starring the lead character John Constantine, created by Alan Moore, Rick Veitch and John Totleben, a new series set in the New 52 and featuring the version of the character recently seen in Justice League Dark.
When Vertigo were told to hand over the DC character books they were publishing, and cancel and such projects in production, the one that survived was Hellblazer, well into its two hundreds. And when all the DC Universe title relaunched, Hellblazer remained as the highest numbered comic on DC’s publishing slate. But that will end with Hellblazer #300.
First Brightest Day and then Justice League Dark featured a DC Universe John Constantine, younger, unmarried, less sweary and more open to working with a team of superhero types. Much of the character’s history was wiped clean. Now it seems they have gone one step further.
Robert Venditti and Renato Guedes will write Constantine, a new series in the New 52. Venditti, as well as writing comics such as The Surrogates and Iron Man, works at Top Shelf, the publisher of a number of Alan Moore’s creator owned books. Which should make for some fun conversations….
- Rewriting Superman From Scratch In Action Comics #978 – With A Little Help From Secret Origin - April 24, 2017
- The Fake Jack Kirby Art That Sold For Over $2500 On eBay? - April 24, 2017
- Let’s All Watch A Video About How Diamond Have Changed Their Olive Branch Distribution Centre - April 24, 2017
- Does Your Copy Of Secret Empire #0 Have A Misprint On Page 2? - April 24, 2017
- Process Is The Topic of the Day At C2E2’s Writing For Comics Panel - April 24, 2017