Quickly shot last month and now in post-production, the next film from Sightseers and Kill List director Ben Wheatley is to be A Field in England.
In short, the film is about a group deserters on the run during the Civil War who accidentally eat some ‘magic mushrooms.’ Here’s how Executive Producer Anna Higgs blurbs the plot:
The film follows a small group of deserters fleeing from a raging battle through an overgrown field. As they are captured by O’Neil, an alchemist, they are forced to aid him in his search to find a hidden treasure that he believes is buried in the field.
Crossing a vast mushroom circle, which provides their first meal, the group quickly descend into a chaos of arguments, fighting and paranoia, and, as it becomes clear that the treasure might be something other than gold, they slowly become victim to the terrifying energies trapped inside the field.
It’s going to be a ‘head film,’ then.
This first still from the film shows Michael Smiley, I believe. He was Tires in Spaced and also appeared in Wheatley’s first two features, Down Terrace and Kill List.
Also in the cast are Julian Barratt, Peter Ferdinando, Reece Shearsmith, Richard Glover and Ryan Pope.
A Field is also interesting as the first production of Film 4.0, a lower-budget, digital-focused offshoot of the main Film 4. Something comparable to Warp X, perhaps?
Anyway, I’m all for good, low budget, risk-taking film making.
A Field In England will be with us next year.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014