A number of retailers aren’t too happy with the performance of the Cyberforce relaunch. Funded by Kickstarter to a six figure sum, it’s been sold by Top Cow to retailers for a very small amount but they are intended to be given away for free. Retailers are meant to make their money from the variant editions supplied and increased interest in the title for subsequent issues
But it seems that there’s just not that much interest in the comics from customers even if they’re free. Possibly because they are free. There is a value attached to value. There hasn’t been a great amount of promotion. And there’s the realisation that the price of a variant cover of a free comic is severely hampered by that fact that the original version is free. It’s just the way the market has reacted..
So Top Cow are trying to get retailers excited in the books again, and to prevent orders crashing down after the first issue. Firstly if retailers maintain orders for Cyberforce #2-#5 to three quarters of their original orders, they will get a very large discount on the Cyberforce TPB when that is solicited and large discounts on the full priced Cyberforce #6-#8.
Bleeding Cool would like to add its support to the comic, saying “free comics, what’s wrong with you, seriously, ask your retailer if they have any left, it’s free for goodness sake, honestly…”
- Three Teases For 2017 And 2018 From Valiant In Their Free Comic Book Day Title #meh - April 26, 2017
- Valiant’s X-O Manowar #2 Sends New Characters To War - April 26, 2017
- A Look Ahead At The Loud House Graphic Novel For Free Comic Book Day - April 26, 2017
- Valiant Validated Signature Series Returns For Secret Weapons #1 - April 26, 2017
- Rewriting The Nature Of Paradise Island In Wonder Woman, Today (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017