I saw the full, uncut version of Franck Khalfoun’s Maniac at Frightfest this August, and engaged in many a debate afterwards. To its detractors, the film was little more than a feature length version of the Smack My Bitch Up video – well, less that promo’s last minute twist and with a lot more on-screen scalping.
I think there’s more to the film than that, however. It wasn’t filmed in first-person perspective by accident, and there’s definitely some attempt to wrestle with the role of a viewer in a stalk-and-slash horror film – and also the role of the filmmaker, the person making the camera move around in the first place.
Anyhow, the full argument would be too much for the evidence in just this trailer to bear. For now, let’s just look at the Red Band nature of the thing, consider Elijah Wood’s voice over and take a quick note of the mannequins. You can see where it’s all leading, I suppose?
Thanks to The Film Stage for the embed.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014