Don Coscarelli, creator of the oddball* Phantasm horror films is out doing press to support his next picture, the equally off-kilter John Dies at the End. Several of the interviews as presented seem to be repeating the same answer, but as Coscarelli himself has indicated, that’s because he’s being asked the same question over and over.
Here’s how he talked back to Arrow in the Head, for example:
Well here is the thing… ever since we’ve been doing the publicity on John Dies at the End, I’ve been overwhelmed in every situation with the question, ‘When’s the next [Phantasm]?’ and I didn’t realize that thirty years on that there is still interest in that. The good news is that the Phantasm actors are all in great shape, in fact Angus Scrimm‘s got a great role in John Dies at the End. I think after this is over, its something I’m going to seriously consider because if so many people want it how can you say no?
Coscarelli also directed the similarly cult-creating Bubba Ho-Tep, and has inevitably been fielding questions about a sequel there too. For a while it looked like Bobba Nosferatu was actually going to happen. Now? He says:
You never know.
Hardly a hard bullet of optimism. If you’re really taking requests, let me remind you that “so many people” would like a Bubba follow up too, Mr. Coscarelli. Having read the script for Bubba Nosferatu, I think they’re very right to want it too.
*Do you see what I did there?
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014