To be honest, I’d never heard of Beastlies before, but I understand that they are one of a kind, hand-sculpted ad-hoc figures of little monsters, standing perhaps one or two inches tall. They’re made by Leslie Levings, and apparently sold through Etshy and at Cons and the like. I imagine they’re quite expensive, but the online shop is bare at the moment so I can’t confirm.
Levings has today confirmed that she’s working with JJ Abrams on an”animated Beastlies thing!”, consolidating a rumour that this was going to happen. What kind of thing? Movie? TV? Web series? Whatever it is, don’t you just know it’s going to be CG animated when it really deserves to be stop motion? Levings’ fingerprints are part of her sales pitch.
Is this going to be the first movie based, basically, on an Etsy shop? It won’t be the last, I’m sure.
Here are lots of pictures of Beastlies. They certainly look good, but seem to be rather too well tempered to promise inherent drama. What story do these little folk need? Can’t we just imagine them scampering around looking cute and doing not much?
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014