In development since Mamoru Oshii finished his first Ghost in the Shell movie, the really badly titled The Last Druid: Garm Wars is finally rolling forward into full-on production. It won’t be Oshii’ first live action film, but it will be his first film entirely in the English language. In theory, this means it could have a pretty high profile release in the west.
Here’s a somewhat generic sounding blurb, via ANN:
Taking place in a world of war known as Annwn, Garm Wars sets the scene with clone soldiers from 3 military tribes, in a bloody and perpetual battle of air, land and technology. One clone, Khara, finds herself separated from battle and on the run with unlikely companions. In seeking to know more about their joint existence, the fugitives instead find an unrelenting truth and the greatest battle of their lives.
An unrelenting truth? What the heck does that mean?
The film’s English language script was co-written with Geoffrey Gunn, creator of the upcoming Dracula-and-the-Nazis film, Fangs of War. I repeat: Dracula-and-the-Nazis.
Oshii made some so-called “pilot films” for Garm Wars, though they were animated and pretty vague, and so old they probably bear little resemblance to what he’ll make now. Here’s one, anyhow.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014