You can tell that The Asylum have reached the proudest moment in their history when the tagline for their new film is simply, “Enough said!”
One of their projects being presented at the American Film Market this week is high-concept monster/disaster movie called Sharknado. Based on the artwork below it would seem that the Sharknado is a tornado made of sharks, as opposed to a single shark with the body of a tornado.
The predominant species of shark seen is the great white shark, from the Lamnidae family, but the second foremost shark appears to be a sharpnose shark from the family Carcharhinidae.
However, a closer inspection of the blurb suggests that there might be more to the Sharknado than first meets the eye. According to the official synopsis, this is the plot of the film.
When a freak hurricane swamps Los Angeles, thousands of sharks terrorize the waterlogged populace. And when the high-speed winds form tornadoes in the desert, nature’s deadliest killer rules water, land, and air.
With Hurricane Sandy barely abated and the East coast still struggling to recover from the damage, it seems likely that The Asylum would want to downplay the origins of the Sharknado. Potential investors might consider a hurricane made out of sharks to be in bad taste.
Who knows, perhaps the film was originally called Sharkicane (though that doesn’t sound quite right).
Here’s the promo art, courtesy of ShockTillYouDrop.
- Jackie Chan Confirms Role In The Expendables 3 - December 17, 2012
- Garrett Hedlund Confirms Attachment To TRON 3 - December 13, 2012
- Lincoln And Argo Lead The 2013 Golden Globes Nominations - December 13, 2012
- James McAvoy And Mark Strong Star In New Trailer For Brit Action Thriller Welcome To The Punch - December 11, 2012
- The Asylum Finally Have One Of Their Mockbusters Blocked As Lawyers Stop Age Of The Hobbits - December 10, 2012