Patrick Dane writes for Bleeding Cool
Sometimes movie people talk about an IP they have acquired like it is the second coming while the rest of us think:
When Steven Spielberg said that Need for Speed was “an epic video game that seems to have been made for the movies” I scratched my head a little.
Nonetheless, pre-production seems to be moving along nicely and the film has just taken another big step towards being ready. Imogen Poots has just jumped aboard the film, and is set to star opposite Breaking Bad‘s Aaron Paul. The film is being directed by Scott Waugh, one half of the Act of Valor team. Hannah’s favourites!
The Hollywood Reporter say that Poots is set to play:
a rising star stock car racer whose father has bet the farm on her winning.
The doesn’t sound all that Need for Speed to me, but besides some loose stories in some of the newer games, it is not like the series has much narrative in the tank anyhow.
Dreamworks promise that the film will be:
Rooted in the tradition of the great car-culture films of the ’70s while being extremely faithful to the spirit of the video game franchise.
Well that spirit has changed a lot, seemingly with each installment, and even though I haven’t played the games for any reasonable amount of time past Need for Speed: Carbon, I have kept loose tabs on the later releases. The tone and aesthetics do seem to have changed a lot in the past so who knows which spirit of the franchise they are choosing to focus on.
- Massive Mighty Morphin Spoilers For The Power Rangers Movie, Revealed - March 11, 2017
- Final Fantasy XV Preview – What Four Hours With The Title Told Us - August 16, 2016
- PAX South 2016: Deckbound Unbound: The Evolution of the TCG - February 2, 2016
- Call of Duty: Blacks Op 3 Has Sold Better Than The Last Two Games In The Franchise - November 11, 2015
- The Nathan Drake Collection Was The Best Selling Digital PS4 Game In October - November 11, 2015