While I was standing in the rain waiting for a coach a couple of weeks ago, news broke that Shailene Woodley was the lead contender to take the role of Mary Jane Watson in the sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man.
While I was standing in the rain waiting for a coach earlier this morning, news broke that Woodley has signed a deal for at least the first and second sequel.
But that’s not the most interesting thing in The Hollywood Reporter‘s story.
Their headline is that Woodley is looking to book another gig, on the YA novel adaptation Divergent. That’s how they lead.
Quickly, they get to Spider-Man. Then back to Divergent. Then back to Spider-Man.
And then they say this:
But the Mary Jane role is proving to be only a very small part in Amazing Spider-Man 2 but blossoms into an integral lead for the planned third movie as the studio seeks to build to the classic “Death of Gwen Stacy” story.
And then everybody I know e-mails me to tell me.
Supposing that Divergent is a less well known story than The Death of Gwen Stacy, it’s probably worth passing on the Hollywood Reporter’s points that it’s some kind of sci-fi story set in a future where people live in separated groups, divided by “traits.” I think you csn smell that metaphor from miles away.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014