John Landis is nothing if not straight-up. There’s no surprises that, when in full conversational flow, he starts spilling the sort of interesting anecdotes, insights and snippets of behind-the-scenes power play that other, more political filmmakers might tend to shy away from.
Attending an AMPAS screening of his fried-gold classic An American Werewolf in London, Landis was happy to spill not only his own business, but that of his son, Chronicle screenwriter Max.
Here’s the quote, courtesy of The Playlist‘s transcript:
He wrote a sequel [to Chronicle], and it’s amazing, and the studio read it and said, ‘We want Chronicle again!’ And he said, ‘No, this is the sequel, it’s the evolution, and they said ‘No, we want that movie again!’ So it’s difficult, we’re dealing with a difficult business.
But what do we want, we the punters? We would rather the evolution than a loop-the-loop, repeat revolution, of course. I mean, the box office for The Hangover 2 socks that notion on the nose, but forget that. I’m a paying member of the audience, and I’d buy a ticket for Landis’ spin on Chronicle 2 right now if you’d let me.
Dad really may have done Landis Jr. a favour by giving fans a chance to rally round and bang our tin mugs in demand for something fresh. The Chronicle films don’t have to be too expensive, so a good swell of online support for a more daring, various sequel could be enough to nudge Fox just so much that they could notice.
UPDATE: And here’s Landis Jr.’s reaction, courtesy of Twitter.
THANKS DAD REAL COOL.
— Max Landis (@Uptomyknees) October 10, 2012
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014