Counting just full-length US trailers, this is the second trailer for Quentin Tarantino‘s Django Unchained. It has plenty of new footage, and reveals a good number of fresh elements, new cast members and all that good stuff that impatient trailer hounds like me just can’t get enough of.
There are only two shots in that whole trailer featuring both Schultz and Django in which Schultz is positioned to screen left of Django. It’s hard to tell for sure from just these shots out of context, but it seems like the two exceptions may come from after a certain turning point in the narrative. It’s an intriguing pattern, anyhow. I wonder if it’s just a coincidence of which shots have been used for the trailer, or if Tarantino really is weighting his arrangement of the characters like this, playing a variant on the “North by Northwest gambit” in which Hitch kept Thornhill on the left hand side of the frame for almost the entire film.*
Don’t forget, you can download the trailer from Apple and keep it in your Django shrine until Christmas Day – or, here in the UK, the new year.
*I’d love to talk about why but it’s a big subject. Maybe if Django is actually like this throughout we can get into it.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014