We’ll call him Iron Man 3‘s Drew Pearce for the headline, but he’ll always be No Heroics‘ Drew Pearce to us.
His latest gig is a pretty quick, but very targeted one: according to Variety, Pearce has been employed to take a pass at Gareth Edwards‘ upcoming Godzilla movie and make all of the characters older.
Which is to say, the draft they have now is about “younger characters” but Edwards and Legendary are looking to cast older actors, so they’re having a rewrite done. They have “prototype” actors in mind, and these are older than… well, older than they were in the current draft.
How young the characters are in the current draft isn’t clear, and neither is how old they’ll be in the Pearce rewrite. Are we looking at teenagers changing into 20 somethings? 20 somethings crossing the line into their 30s? 30 somethings getting pushed into the Clooney and Pitt bracket? Are they planning something like Cocoon, Gallants or Tough Guys? Will our hero be trying to keep Godzilla’s mouth open with a zimmer frame.
My money would be on early 20 somethings getting punched into their 30s. Why? Because those seem to be the two biggest sets of representations in genre cinema.
I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of folk cheering about this rewrite, and I’m cool with it, if its what Edwards wants, but I would never have assumed the film to be faulty or doomed if he was making it about a wave of teens. I don’t think I’d see that news and just assume he would be making some sort of Mouseketeer vehicle. To my mind, the clear indicator of quality here is the group of people involved, not anything to do with how many of the cast are tall enough to go on the big boy rides at Disneyland
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014