The cover for Avengers Arena #1 was a far too obvious swipe of Battle Royale.
The second… not as much. Sure it uses the Battle Royale-styled logo for this, shove a load of superhero teenagers together and make them kill each other comic. But the main design by Chris Bachalo is very siumilar to another image by Brian Storrey, used on the American edition of William Golding’s Lord Of The Flies, another book that pits teenagers against each other to the death…
In Swipe File we present two or more images that resemble each other to some degree. They may be homages, parodies, ironic appropriations, coincidences or works of the lightbox. We trust you, the reader, to make that judgment yourself? If you are unable to do so, please return your eyes to their maker before any further damage is done. The Swipe File doesn’t judge, it’s interested more in the process of creation, how work influences other work, how new work comes from old, and sometimes how the same ideas emerge simultaneously, as if their time has just come. The Swipe File was named after the advertising industry habit where writers and artist collect images and lines they admire to inspire them in their work. It was swiped from the Comic Journal who originally ran this column, as well as the now defunct Swipe Of The Week website.
- Ryan North’s Passion For Dinosaurs Bleeds Into Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (SPOILERS) - July 28, 2017
- Marvel Comics Misgenders Its Own Superheroes In Marvel Book Previews - July 28, 2017
- Joe Quesada Lenticular Cover For Marvel Legacy #1 Is Now “Order All You Want” - July 28, 2017
- Simon Furman Announced To Write Robotech For Titan Comics - July 28, 2017
- Avatar Press Runs 75% Off ComiXology Sale: Jonathan Hickman, Alan Moore, Warren Ellis, And More - July 28, 2017