There’s been a rumour going round the British comics industry circles of late that Paul Cornell is leaving Demon Knights and setting up new projects at Marvel to replace it. His Vertigo book, Saucer Country, would be unaffected.
That is literally all I know, or have heard. There’s not an official word I can get, and Cornell hasn’t even responded to e-mails. But it does seem to be rather persistent.
Cornell came to geek fame writing Doctor Who novels, creating the character Bernie Summerfield, before writing for the TV show itself. He then started to work for Marvel Comics, after being introduced by Mark Millar, and was then headhunted by DC Comics. Working on Action Comics, he wrote a critically acclaimed run with Lex Luthor in the lead, before launching Stormwatch and Demon Knights for the New 52. He walked off the former, I understand for reasons of increased editorial micro-managing, though he has never commented on this, but remained on Demon Knights.
Setting up the Medieval history of the New 52, as well as being a direct precursor for Stormwatch, it has been a Dungeons & Dragons game, played out with a comic book narrative, with a relatively small but devoted fanbase, of which I include myself.
The other question is, will Demon Knights survive without Paul? The solicitation for issue 15 reads.
DEMON KNIGHTS #15
Written by PAUL CORNELL
Art and cover by BERNARD CHANG
On sale DECEMBER 12 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
• EVERYTHING changes this issue!
• Merlin, Lucifer and a connection from the past to Stormwatch are all here…right before the team enters what could be their final battle!
• So what happens next? Or should the question be when? And whose hands will the Black Diamond fall into?
It all seems a bit final. A number of DC titles seem to be going through some big changes around the issue 15 and 16 mark, maybe we’ll find out more soon.
- Expect A New Main X-Men Title And Star Wars Title Announced Soon – ECCC? - February 26, 2017
- Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes – Spider-Man, Flash, Star Wars, Harley Quinn And Unworthy Thor - February 25, 2017
- When Spider-Man Threw Up A Gang Signal To The Latin Kings Of Chicago - February 25, 2017
- When Five Guys Noticed Their Plug In Spider-Man - February 25, 2017
- Unboxing The February 2017 ZBox – Superheroines! And Everyone Fights Over Wonder Woman! - February 25, 2017